Saint Fargeau Castle

Château de Saint Fargeau

The history of the Castle of Saint Fargeau spans 10 centuries. In 980, Bishop Heribert of Auxerre and half-brother of Hugh Capet, establishes a rendezvous point of fortified hunting. From the tenth to the fifteenth century, the castle owners were from famous families such as the  Lords of Toucy, de Bar, and the famous silversmith of Charles VII, Jacques Coeur. From 1453, Antoine de Chabannes built, on the foundations of the ancient fortress, the present castle with its pentagonal shape, flanked by six large towers. In 1652, Anne-Marie Louise of Orleans, La Grande Mademoiselle (first cousin of Louis XIV), sentenced to five years of exile following the events of the Fronde moved to Saint-Fargeau. The architect Le Vau was involved in the construction of the inner walls of the castle. He leaves one of the finest examples of French classicism. The Lepeletier family bought the castle in 1713. Louis Michel Lepeletier (famous conventional), voted for death of Louis XVI and was himself, assassinated.

The Castle of Saint Fargeau is the “character” of the central novel of Jean d’Ormesson’s Hope to God.

Since 1979, the Castle of Saint Fargeau is the property of Michel Guyot.

Opening

From 22 March to 11 November 2014.

From 10am to 12pm and 14pm to 18pm.

Up to 19h from 1 July to 31 August.

Entrance

Adult: 10 €

School: 6 €

Group: 8 €